Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Can we determine truth through feelings, beliefs, and experiences? Or is there a better standard?
- Can We Trust Our Feelings?
- Can We Trust Our Beliefs?
- Can We Trust Our Experiences?
- Examine Your Feelings, Beliefs, and Experiences
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Can you think of a time when your feelings led you astray? What happened?
- Is it good to be strongly convinced about things? Explain.
- Why are sincerity or strength of conviction inadequate tests of truth? Why is it hard for someone who is strongly convinced to consider alternative ideas?
- Can you give an example of how one personal experience can be interpreted in two (or more) different ways?
- In what ways are our feelings, convictions, and experiences valuable, if not for determining the final truth?
- Read John 8:31-32. According to Jesus, how can people know the truth? What does it mean to “abide in” Jesus’ word?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Regaining Trust After Mormonism series.