Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Mormonism and traditional Christianity present two very different stories about the purpose of the universe.
- The Biblical story is centered on Jesus.
- The LDS story is centered on human individuals.
- The two stories are very different in spite of similarities.
See Also: Identity, Plan of Salvation
Talk About It
- Would you describe the LDS story similarly to the way Dr. Wakefield describes it? Why or why not?
- Read Philippians 2:5-11. How does the biblical story begin? What is its climax? How does the story end?
- Read John 1:1-3 and John 1:14. How does John’s gospel tell a similar story to Philippians?
- Read Matthew 28:18-20. How does Matthew’s gospel tell a similar story?
- Read Philippians 2:11. What does this suggest is the purpose of the universe?
- How is this like or different from how you understood the purpose of the universe in Mormonism?
- Summarize: what are the similarities between the LDS and biblical stories? What are the differences?
- Do you find the similarities or the differences to be more significant – and why?
This is part of the 2018 Faith After Mormonism Conference series.