Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
We can help former Mormons most not by focusing on beliefs alone, but by helping them work through culture shock and discover a new identity in Christ.
- Don’t Stereotype
- Be Patient, Not Pushy
- Go Beyond Doctrine
- Encourage a Connection with a Church
- Beware of Their Feelings
- Let Them Take Responsibility
- Help Them See That God Is at Work
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
- “Our ultimate goal is to help a former Mormon navigate a cultural journey to find a new identity in Christ.” Do you agree or disagree, and why?
- What are some reasons why it is hard to be patient with ex-Mormons on their journey?
- Why is it so important to be patient?
- What are some important issues transitioning Mormons need to deal with besides doctrine? Explain.
- What should you keep in mind as you introduce your former Mormon friend to your church?
- How can you help your friend identify and own their feelings during the transition journey?
- What does it mean for your ex-LDS friend to “take responsibility for the transition process?”
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Mentoring Former Mormons Training series.