Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
The third foundational truth for pursuing God is that your life on earth is not about you, but about joining God in his mission in this world.
- God calls average people to represent him. When Jesus came, he chose regular people to be his disciples. The people he chose to change the world were not highly educated, wealthy, or prominent (Acts 4:13). This means anyone can serve if they are willing.
- God’s purpose involves serving others. You have the freedom to choose where you want to serve, based on your own abilities and interests (1 Peter 4:10-11), realizing that serving is not an obligation but an act of love.
- God calls us to invest our resources. God has chosen to accomplish his purpose in the world through people, giving us the opportunity to grow and develop as we serve. This involves not only our time and talents but also our treasure.
- God’s greatest purpose is to help others follow him. It involves coming alongside people to help them become fully devoted and fully-formed followers of Jesus (Colossians 1:28), who increasingly reflect Jesus’s own character and purpose in life (Galatians 4:19).
See Also: Growth
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Three years ago, how would you have answered the question, “What is the purpose of your life?” How is your answer different today?
- Read Matthew 4:18-20. Who did Jesus invite into his mission? Why do you think he did not start with Pharisees or religious scholars?
- Read Matthew 28:18-20. What did Jesus call his followers to do? What did he promise them as they embraced this mission?
- Read Galatians 5:13. What does it look like to “serve one another in love”? What would you say to a Christian who is not willing to serve?
- Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-7. How much should you give to God? Who gets to decide? In what ways is giving to God different from tithing to a church?
- Read 2 Timothy 2:2. Describe the pattern for helping others grasp and live the truth? What are the qualifications for helping others follow Jesus?
- Describe the three stages of the Pursue God circle. Where are you on the circle?
- “Your purpose in life is to go full circle and help others go full circle.” What is your reaction to that statement?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part 3 of the Foundations for Mormons series.