Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
The first foundational truth in a pursuit of God is that we can only find a relationship with God by trusting in Jesus as the sole remedy for our sin.
- How can we know how to be united with our creator? The Bible makes it simple.
- It begins with God. Our Creator is a God of love (1 John 4:8). It was out of his love that he decided to create human beings. He made us with the intention that we would know him and love him back.
- Our problem is sin. Sin is not just breaking commandments. Sin is an inclination within every human being toward disobedience and evil (Romans 7:18-19). Sin is our nature (Titus 3:3).
- Our solution is Jesus. We can be reconciled to God (Romans 5:10-11). God took the initiative to do what we cannot do for ourselves. He made a way for our broken condition to be reversed.
- Our response is faith. Even though Jesus did everything anyone needs to be right with God, a relationship with him is not automatic. It takes a personal response. In the Bible, that response is two-fold: repentance and faith (Acts 20:21).
- Good works are not the cause of salvation, but the result. They reflect our new identity in Christ (Ephesians 5:8-10). Out of our love for him, in gratitude for his grace, we want to follow him and serve him.
See Also: Salvation
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What did you grow up believing about religion (Jesus, heaven, etc.)?
- Read Ephesians 2:1-3. What does the metaphor of death say about our spiritual condition apart from Christ?
- In Ephesians 2:1-3, make a list of all the features of human life apart from Christ. To whom does this list apply? What are some ways these features take shape in religious people?
- Read Ephesians 2:4-5. What did God do about the human condition? Why did he do it?
- Read Hebrews 10:11-14. How does the OT sacrificial system help us understand how Jesus is the answer to sin?
- Read Ephesians 2:8-9. What is God’s part in our salvation? What is our part?
- Read Romans 6:23. What is the result of sin? How is eternal life a gift? If a gift has conditions attached, is it still a gift? Why or why not?
- Why are “grace” and “works” two mutually exclusive approaches to salvation?
- Can a person know with confidence whether they are right with God and forgiven of their sins? Explain. Where do you stand in relation to God, as of today?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part 1 of the Foundations for Mormons series.