Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Don't be surprised at the volatile and even extreme reactions of your closest family members, as they may find your decision to leave the LDS Church very challenging.
- Your Family Will Be Devastated by Your Decision.
- Your Family Will Act According to Their Feelings.
- Your Family’s Feelings and Actions are Legitimate.
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
Insert discussion questions here…
- When you were an active Latter-day Saint, how did you respond when people you knew left the church?
- If you have left the church, what emotions did you see from your close family members?
- In what ways have you seen those emotions escalate over time?
- Why would it be difficult for your family members to accept your decision without getting angry?
- As you left, did your family members try to exert leverage on your decision? What happened?
- What other actions did they take? What actions are you afraid they may still take?
- What did you do that helped make the situation less tense? More tense?
- How can you gain empathy for how your decision has affected your family?