Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
The Christian gospel rests on two key events: the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Here's why those events are pivotal.
- Jesus’ death and resurrection were foretold in Scripture.
- Jesus’ death and resurrection were fulfilled according to Scripture.
- Humanity can be reconciled to God.
See Also: The Cross
Talk About It
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:3-8. What two events make up the essential points of the Christian faith? According to this passage, why did Jesus die?
- What does it mean when Paul says each of these events was “according to the Scriptures”?
- All four Gospels recount the events of the crucifixion and the resurrection. Read Matthew 27:45-46 and then Luke 23:46. What is happening on earth in the time between these two statements?
- According to Hebrews.9:11-14, what was happening in heaven? How was reconciliation made?
- 2 Corinthians.5:21 is sometimes called “The Great Exchange”. What was “exchanged?
- Rome crucified thousands of people in the first century AD. Why was this one different?
- What is the meaning of the event of the resurrection? Why was Jesus’ resurrection necessary to the message of the gospel?
- What would it mean if there had been no resurrection?
This is part of the Fresh Start series.
See the expanded versions of the lessons in this series at whc.faith/watch/fresh-start