Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
The story of Mormonism, from its beginnings in Western New York with Joseph Smith, is fascinating and insightful.
- In Joseph Smith’s Time, Religious Innovation Was in Style
- Joseph Smith Was Known As a Glass Looker
- Joseph Smith Found a Gold Book Buried
- This Translation Was Published as the Book of Mormon
- Joseph Smith Moved the Church Often to Escape Threats
- The Mormons Created a New Settlement in Nauvoo, Illinois
- Mormonism Stands or Falls on Joseph Smith
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What are some of the things you were surprised to hear about the story of Mormonism? Make a list.
- What are some of the things that would cause you to doubt the validity of the Book of Mormon? Why do you think some people still accepted it in the mid-1800’s? (Learn more.)
- Would you have had a difficult time following Joseph Smith when he was alive? Why or why not?
- Talk about the religious background in western New York where Mormonism was born. (Learn more.) What other groups grew out of that area? Are you surprised? What can we learn today?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:3-4. Give examples of how this has happened today and throughout history.
- Should we call Mormonism a cult? Why or why not? (Learn more.)
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.