Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Mormonism claims to have the restored priesthood. By contrast, this video examines what the Bible actually says about priesthood.
- The High Priest
- The Sanctuary and the Temple
See Also: Jesus
Talk About It
- Read Exodus 24:1-8. The Covenant of the Law, also known as the Old Covenant, was made between God and the people of Israel as they were being prepared to enter the Promised Land. This covenant promised blessings if the people obeyed the 613 laws, but consequences if they did not. What promise did the people make?
- In this covenant, God made provisions to cover guilt when a person broke the Law. Read Leviticus 17:11,14. Why was a substitute sacrifice, an animal, necessary when the Law was broken?
- How does this relate to the penalty of sin in Genesis 2:16-17?
- These sacrifices were to be offered by a priest on behalf of the individual who had sinned. Read Exodus 28:1 and 29:9. Who was eligible to serve as a priest? Why?
- Read Exodus 25:8-9, 40, and Leviticus 17:3-6. What was the purpose of the sanctuary (also called the tent of meeting or the tabernacle)?
- When the people of Israel came in to the Promised Land, a permanent structure, called the temple, was built for this purpose. Read 1 Kings 8:12-21. Which covenant were all these things, the priesthood, the sacrifices, and the sanctuary, attached to?
- When Jesus died on the cross, the veil in the temple at Jerusalem was torn in two, from top to bottom (Matthew 27:50-51; Mark 15:37-39; Luke 23;44-47). As He died, Jesus declared, “It is finished!” (John 19:30). How does this relate to Hebrews 9:11-14?
- According to Hebrews 10:1-4 the Law is only a shadow of what? Read Hebrews 10:11-14. What has Jesus done?
- Is there any need now for a priest or an earthly sanctuary Hebrews 8:13; 10:18. Why or why not?
- Who is our priest now? Hebrews 4:14-16. What are the “better promises” of the New Covenant? Hebrews 10:16-18.
This is part of the Fresh Start series.
See the expanded versions of the lessons in this series at whc.faith/watch/fresh-start