Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Giving is not mainly about funding a church, but about your relationship with God. Don’t give up on generosity, as God leads.
- Latter-day Saints Are Held Accountable to Give 10% of Their Income to the Church
- Giving Is About a Relationship with God
- Reasons to Give Financially as a Christian
- A Public Offering Can Make Former Mormons Cringe
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- If you are a former Mormon, what was your reaction when you first observed a church take a public offering?
- Has your perspective on public offerings changed? Explain.
- The video says that giving is not about tithing to a church, but giving to God. Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
- What are some obstacles that have kept you from giving more consistently or generously at your church?
- Read Matthew 6:19-21. What is the relationship between how you use money and what happens in your heart?
- Read 2 Corinthians 8:7-9. How is generosity an act of grace? How was this exemplified by Jesus?
- Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-8. What factors might encourage us to be cheerful givers?
- Since leaving Mormonism, how have you decided where and how much to give?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Church Life After Mormonism series.