Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
It's crucial to understand the differences between the biblical covenants in order to understand the work of Jesus and how to be right with God.
- God’s covenant with Abraham was by grace through faith.
- God’s covenant with Israel through Moses was for a particular purpose.
- Jesus instituted a completely new covenant.
- The New Covenant in Jesus replaces the Old Covenant of Moses.
See Also: Grace, Salvation
Talk About It
- How did you understand covenants as a Latter-day Saint?
- Read Romans 4:1-5. How was Abraham made right with God, even before the Old Testament law was given? Which came first, grace or law? Why is this important?
- What did the “new covenant” mean to you? How is your understanding of the “new covenant” changing?
- In what ways will our view of salvation be misguided if we don’t understand the difference between the covenants?
- Read Hebrews 8:13. If the old covenant is obsolete, what does that mean for the Christian life?
- How would you define a “transactional” view of God? How is that practiced in Mormonism?
- How is the “new covenant” in Christ the opposite of a transactional approach to God?
This video features Paul Robie, pastor of South Mountain Community Church in Draper, Utah, and appears courtesy of the Utah Ministry Training curriculum – utahministry.org/moodle.