Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
Michael Wilder explains the powerful work of salvation that Jesus offers to sinners - at the 2018 Faith After Mormonism Conference.
- No one can be saved based on our own efforts.
- Jesus did everything we need to be right with God.
- To be saved, we need to respond to Jesus with faith.
See Also: Atonement, Salvation
Talk About It
- How did you understand the atonement when you were LDS?
- Read Matthew 19:25. What was going on in the disciples’ minds when they said, “Who in the world can be saved?” Why would they ask that question?
- Read Matthew 19:26. What did Jesus mean when he said, “Humanly speaking, this is impossible.” What is impossible? Why?
- How is salvation possible with God even though it is impossible for humans?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:18. Did you think of all the emphasis on the cross among traditional Christians as being “foolishness”? Explain.
- How has your understanding of the cross changed? What questions do you still have?
- Read John 6:28-29. Why do you think Jesus put so much emphasis on faith alone?
- How would you define faith?
- What is the difference between having faith in a person versus having faith in certain ideas or truths?
- Knowing that we are fully and unconditionally forgiven in Christ, do you think this is an incentive for people to be casual about sin? Explain.
This is part of the 2018 Faith After Mormonism Conference series.