Coming from a restrictive culture, former Mormons must learn to use their newfound freedom responsibly, based on biblical principles.
- Loss of Certainty.
- A New World of Choices.
- Essentials Versus Non-Essentials.
- Legalism or License?
- The Goal of Responsible Liberty.
See Also: Tags
Talk About It
- What are some confusing choices you have faced as you transition out of Mormonism?
- What are the most helpful lessons you’ve learned so far about how to approach the loss of clearly prescribed choices?
- Is it helpful to you to divide issues into “essentials” and “non-essentials”? Explain.
- How would you define “legalism”? What are the dangers of legalism? Why do you think people embrace legalism?
- What is “license”? What are the dangers of license? Why do you think people embrace license?
- Read Galatians 5:1 and 13. What are Christians set free from? What are the boundaries of that freedom?
- Read Matthew 22:37-40. How did Jesus define the boundaries of responsible Christian living? How do these two principles encompass “the entire law”?
- How do the principles of loving God and loving our neighbor help us steer clear of the pitfalls of legalism and license?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Mentoring Former Mormons Training series.