Watch the video above and talk about it with a friend or mentor.
After feeling lied to and betrayed, it is hard to trust again. The first step to a new faith identity is to develop discernment, so you can give your trust to those who are actually trustworthy.
- There are reasons you can trust again.
- The Bible invites us to develop discernment.
- Spend your trust wisely.
See Also: Trust
Talk About It
- What events or issues undermined your trust in the LDS Church?
- How did that affect your confidence in God?
- Describe the difference between skepticism and discernment.
- What are the negative effects in a person’s life of becoming too skeptical?
- Read 1 John 4:1-3. Why do you think we are urged to not believe who claims to speak for God?
- What general principle are we given to help us discern who speaks for God and who doesn’t?
- What would a church or religious leader have to do to earn your trust?
- What are some ways that a church or religious leader could lose your trust?
- What would it take for God to earn your trust again?
This is part of the 7 Steps through the Swamp: Mapping the Journey to a Vibrant New Faith series, and also part of the 2018 Faith After Mormonism Conference series.